For Immediate Release
August 16, 2022
(707) 882-7333 ext. 3
Breeder's Best Launches New Exclusive Patent-Protected Cannabis Library
San Diego, California – Breeder’s Best is proud to announce it has released its first exclusive offering of patent-pending Cannabis cultivars from five independent Cannabis breeders (ICBs). For the initial offering, seven different cultivars with unique and rare cannabinoid and terpene profiles were selected from hundreds of submissions. Other submissions are under consideration and will be added to the offering in the coming months.
Breeder’s Best founder and CEO Dale Hunt, PhD, JD, says, “We are pleased to make these special cultivars available to industry. The chemical diversity seen in these plants creates opportunities for growers, formulators and processors to offer unique flower and value-added products to the market beyond the common cultivars.”
Breeder’s Best is the first company to specialize in licensing patent-protected Cannabis genetics and the only company in the Cannabis space to exclusively serve independent Cannabis breeders. Dr. Hunt explains, “Born from a desire to help independent Cannabis breeders become and/or remain economically viable and not be left behind in this rapidly changing industry, Breeder’s Best exists to bridge the gap between independent Cannabis breeders and the marketplace using a licensing model proven in horticultural industries.”
ICBs submit certificates of analysis and photos of their unique varities through www.breedersbest.com. Selected cultivars are trialed for a year under a provisional patent application. If the variety is successful during that time, a full patent will be filled on behalf of the breeder. Patent ownership remains exclusively with the ICB; Breeder’s Best is the exclusive licensee and grants sub-licenses to qualified partners.
The five independent Cannabis breeders offering their special cultivars through Breeder’s Best include a military veteran, a female breeder and a mother-son breeding team. The exclusive library is a dynamic offering that will be updated as new cultivars are selected. Breeder’s Best includes in the inaugural library these exclusive cultivars:
- Pink Boost Goddess is an award-winning variety boasting the highest known commercially available THCV percentage with a unique combination of myrcene, ocimene and terpinolene.
- Blue Skunk is revered for its calming effects on those with PTSD. It is a THC-dominant plant with a therapeutic combination of myrcene, caryophyllene and pinene.
- Black Apple Kush is a rare ocimene-dominant plant complemented with caryophyllene and limonene, having high THC balanced by CBG, which delivers a creative, relaxing experience.
- Orange Cream Frost is a high-yielding, high-THC cultivar with a unique terpene combination of caryophyllene, limonene and humulene that requires comparatively little water and nutrients in cultivation.
- Oaxacan Wise is a high-terpene cultivar with terpinolene, ocimene, myrcene and caryophyllene, high THC, and elevated CBG. This offers a mellow experience perfect for daytime medicinal use.
- Old Toby is a caryophyllene, limonene, humulene dominant medicinal cultivar high in THC and highly effective for many medical users.
- Anomaly is a CBG-rich seed variety that produces no detectable THC nor CBD, and is rich in terpenes including myrcene, pinene and limonene.
Clones are purchased from licensed nursery partners and licensed under a material transfer agreement which includes a royalty component shared by Breeders Best and the ICB.
Dr. Hunt concludes, “Our model has the potential to be a win for breeders, the market, and consumers. This approach can create immense value at multiple points in the supply chain while providing access to the market to more diverse Cannabis products, which we believe is good for everyone.”